Spicy Salmon on Cauliflower Mascarpone Mash
Ingredients for Salmon
• 6 fresh salmon filets, approximately 1/3 pound each
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
• 1/3 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
• ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
• ¼ cup cayenne pepper
• ½ cup drained and dried capers
Ingredients for Mascarpone Mash
• 1 head of fresh cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
• 1 large russet potato
• ½ head garlic
• 4 ounces Crave Brothers Mascarpone
• 2-3 tablespoons goat cheese
• ¼ cup whole milk
• 8 green onions, 6 kept whole, 2 sliced thin
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Pinch of paprika
1. Rinse the salmon filets and pat dry. Lay them on a large baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, and cayenne and sprinkle across the top of the filets. Cover with foil and refrigerate while preparing the mash.
3. In a small skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil to hot and shimmery. Carefully add the capers and fry until just until they turn slightly brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
4. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until just tender. Frain and place in a food processor, set aside.
5. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the garlic in a piece of foil drizzled with olive oil. Place the potato, 6 of the 8 green onions and the garlic in foil onto a small baking sheet. Place in oven and watch the green onion and remove when wilted but not charred. (after about 15 minutes) Remove the garlic packet after 20 minutes. Keep baking the potato until tender. Remove when tender and increase oven to 450.
6. When cooled, peel the baked potato and add to the cauliflower in the food processor. Add roasted garlic, mascarpone, goat cheese, and milk. Process until creamy and resembles mash potato consistency. Transfer to a large microwave safe bowl. Snip the roasted green onion into small pieces and fold into the mash along with 2 sliced raw onions.
7. Remove salmon from refrigerator. When oven is at 450, roast salmon on the baking sheet until just cooked through (10 minutes) Remove from oven.
8. As soon as the salmon is ready, reheat the mash in the microwave until hot. Put a large dollop of mash on the center of 6 serving plates. Sprinkle the outer edgeswith paprika for garnish. Top each with a salmon filet, scattering fried capers. Serve.
Yields: 6 servings