Lemon Basil Mascarpone Custard with Lemon Shortbread Cookies
Lemon Basil Madcarpone Custard with Lemon Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients for Custard
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups gradulated sugar
- 2-8 ounce containers Crave Brothers Mascarpone
- 2 lemons- juice adn zest
- 1 ounce basil
Ingredients for Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled sweet cream butter
- 1/4 cup Crave Brothers Mascarpone
- 1 lemon- juice and zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions for Custard
1. In a two quart sauce pan combine heavy cream, whole milk, lemon juice and zest, and mascarpone and place over medium heat. Whisk until combined. Meanwhile combine egg yolks and sugar and mix until sunshine yellow. Set aside.
2. When cream mixture starts to scald remove from heat and temper some into the egg yolk mixture slowly. When about 2 cups have been mixed add the remaining mixture. Add basil whole and poach over low heat stirring ocassionally for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and remove basil. Place in heat proof container and chill overnight.
3. Chiffinode the basil leaves that were reserved and mix into the custard mixture. Prepare custard in an ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to make the custard. When custard is finished put in a container and into the freezer until later use.
Direction for Shortbread Cookies
1. Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined. Form dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill dough in a cooler for 30 minutes before rolling out. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Remove plastic from dough before rolling out. ON a well floured surface roll out dough until it is 1/8 ofan inch thick. Cut out desired shapes. Place cookies on parchment lined sheet tray.
3. Bake cookies 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely before using.
Makes approximately a dozen cookies.
4. Plate four ounces of custard with a cookie and fresh berries, garnish with fresh basil.
Yields: 12 servings