Salmon and Shellfish Chowder with Crave Brothers Mascarpone Fumet
By: Chef Sonia Murphy – Calistoga, CA
*Fumet is a reduced and seasoned fish, meat, or vegetable stock
This recipe works well as a plated dish. Just place raw salmon in warm bowls and pour fumet with shellfish over. Any seafood can be cooked in this flavorful fumet.
I created this recipe for our store’s hot bar. It sells very well and has customers asking for it. The fumet is really the star of this dish and can be used to poach a variety of seafood. It also lends itself well to a plated course. Light and delicate but full of flavor; it is a keeper.
Yields: 2 quarts
For the Fumet:
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups white wine
- 46 fluid ounces clam juice
- 16 ounces Crave Brothers Mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons corn starch, whisked into 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, freshly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 envelope gelatin powder, hydrated in cold water
- 1 pound salmon, cut into 1 ounce pieces
- 1 pound prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound clams in the shell, scrubbed
- 1 pound cooked red potatoes, medium dice
- ½ pound corn
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- Chopped Italian parsley
Combine shallots, garlic and wine in a stainless steel pot and simmer until almost dry.
Add clam juice and bring to simmer. Slowly whisk in the Crave Brothers mascarpone followed by the corn starch. Bring to a simmer.
Add spices, herbs and lemon juice, simmer another 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, with a small amount of the hot mixture, temper the gelatin by gently whisking.
Add gelatin mixture to pot and stir well. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
The fumet can be cooled and stored at this point.
For Hot Bar Service:
Bring the fumet to a simmer.
Add potatoes, corn and peppers to the fumet, return to simmer and raise heat.
Place an empty hotel pan or large, oven-proof serving bowl in a warm oven.
Add clams and prawns to fumet, cover and simmer just until the clams open.
Remove the hotel pan or serving bowl from oven, place raw salmon in the bottom of the pan/bowl. Pour the fumet with shellfish over the salmon, salmon will cook in the hot fumet.
Garnish with parsley, serve immediately.